[Tagging] Waterway equivalent of noexit=yes?

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Thu Aug 13 05:40:52 UTC 2020

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 19:37:40 +0100
Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 18:36, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchfamily.org> wrote:
>
> > Not yet mapped, but my prototype case can be seen in the Bing
> > Imagery with an area that collect water around 33.99268,-116.22239
> > and flows generally to the east and north only to dissipate around
> > 33.06076,-116.06077.
>
> There's water there?  It looks like the surface of Mars.  I can see
> subtle features
> but I'd hesitate to call them water from Bing imagery alone.  Could
> be deer trails
> for all I can tell.

If you're familiar with that sort of terrain, the streams are
blindingly obvious (Esri Clarity is probably a better choice than Bing
for spotting them).

> > The collection area is no problem nor is the ephemeral waterway
> > until about 33.03910,-116.099138 where it start bifurcating into
> > smaller and smaller channels which eventually disappear.
> >

> Either I'm looking at the wrong place, or the USGS Topographic Map
> layer thinks
> things are somewhat different, at least in the rainy season.  It
> looks like you have
> a number of sinks and, generally north-east of the sinks, issues (as
> Ordnance Survey
> would call them), on intermittent streams (if I'm interpreting USGS
> symbols correctly).

Probably the best place to see spreading would be around Coyote Lake at
34.1618, -116.2123; there are additional "spread out and disappear"
patterns at the north and south ends of the lakebed.

For a larger and far more dramatic example of this sort of situation,
look at the area to the west of Death Valley Playa.  It looks like
someone stacked hundreds of river deltas on top of one another, but
forgot to add the water.

--
Mark