[Tagging] bridge:name and tunnel:name

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 12:56:29 UTC 2020

On 13/08/2020 08.10, dktue wrote:
> the wiki states since more than eight years that there's a debate about
> wether one should tag "tunnel:name" or "name". [1]
>
> Is there any new opinion in the community on this topic that has not
> been documented in the wiki?

How is the tunnel tagged? If it's a highway that happens to be going
through a tunnel (e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/361906432) I
would expect that `name` is the name of the *road*, hence if the tunnel
also has a name, it would need to be tagged in some other manner (e.g.
tunnel:name).

Note that my example *does* have the street name in `name`.

If the tunnel is somehow tagged separately from the highway, then I
could see that using `name` as the name of the tunnel. Of course, if the
*road itself* is known by the same name as the tunnel, then it would
also make sense to use `name`.

--
Matthew