[Tagging] Aerialway stations

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 13 13:20:39 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-13 14:49, dktue wrote:

> I think it's easy for a mapper to determine if a station is a bottom_station or a upper_station even if he doesn't know the exact elevation.

I would advise against such generalisations - it depends so much on the
circumstances and the mapper in question. OSM prefers objective data.

This one has a difference of only 40m. Optically/subjectively it's
pretty much dead level. I have done it many times.

http://www.ski-aravis.com/component/content/article/53-remonteeslcl/165-clusaz-telepherique-transval-057.html

Despite the minimal difference the website does indicate that one side
is the "top station" and the other side is the "bottom station", but
that's probably not a valid source. Anyway, suppose they were both at
exactly the same altitude. What's the intrinsic difference between top
station and bottom station? The location of the drive motors perhaps?
That would be an objective attribute that we could put into OSM
(motor=yes/no?)