[Tagging] Waterway equivalent of noexit=yes?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 14:55:13 UTC 2020

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 at 15:42, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The “rise” where the stream comes back to the surface would usually be
> mapped as natural=spring

Ordnance Survey makes the distinction between issues and springs.  An issue
is where a waterway reappears after a (natural, not a culvert) journey
underground.
A spring is, as far as I can tell, a result of rainfall percolating into
the ground rather
than the reappearance of a waterway that disappeared elsewhere.

Ordnance Survey also makes the distinction between springs and wells (as in
upwellings of water, I think, not as in holes somebody dug and dips a bucket
into) but I have yet to find out what that distinction is.

I'm not saying that OS is right to make those distinctions.  I'm not saying
we should automatically do what they do.  But I do think we ought to
consider
what they've done and think about it before committing ourselves.  Maybe see
what other national mapping agencies like USGS do.  If they do it, it's
probably for a reason (although it may be a bad one).

--
Paul