[Tagging] new page for tree_lined=*

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 22:18:30 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 14. Aug 2020, at 23:56, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd almost think you were talking of the landscaping feature of private
> gardens known as an avenue

yes, think of these, but also on public roads (although they’re an ornamental feature and not just functional), basically these are landscape features, rhythm is important, it’s not just some trees scattered along a road

> this is the case for most of the roads around here, but the trees are part
> of the hedge.  On private ground.  You don't get to walk around the trunks
> because of the hedge (or fence) between the trunks.  See, for example,
> https://goo.gl/maps/QKsezC9bqsea1twy9 and keep going in that direction.

this is a hedge, or maybe natural=scrub, I would not use the tree_lined tag for these

> They're not ornamental or even for shade, they're windbreaks

yes, and to separate the street from the adjacent properties.

Here are some images I had in mind:

basically all of these:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=allee+toskana&iax=images&ia=images

(note the German syntax ;-) )

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=allee+brandenburg&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

I would have added more specific definitions like rhythm of trees, type of trees (usually the same or alternating), scenic intention, but as this is an existing tag it would have been useful to get feedback from those who have used the tag in the past, in order not to overload it with expectations which are not met by the actual usage.

AFAIR, tree_lined was a compromise because allée is a French term and people couldn’t agree on the meaning of “avenue”.

A part from real roads, these can also be found on private driveways, at least in Italy they are quite common in some regions.

Cheers Martin