[Tagging] bridge:name and tunnel:name

Arne Johannessen arne at thaw.de
Fri Aug 14 22:35:03 UTC 2020

dktue <email at daniel-korn.de> wrote:

> Here's an example [1] where the name of the tunnel seems to be tagged as "name". I'm not sure what the roads name is (might be Schlossbergtunnel, Hegelstra├če or Rheinlandstra├če).

It's not clear if the part of the road inside the tunnel is named at all (perhaps not, as it might not serve any practical purpose).

> Tagging it to tunnel:name would definitely clarify on this.

I see no problem with adding tunnel:name=* in addition to name=*.

However, name=* should always contain the primary name of a feature. For a road tunnel, the primary name is typically the tunnel's name, as the tunnel is usually a more prominent feature than the road is.

Therefore the tag name=Schlossbergtunnel shouldn't be removed.

--
Arne Johannessen
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Arne_Johannessen>