[Tagging] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Aerialway stations

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 15 11:57:05 UTC 2020

Yes, I object to the specific values, as I (and others) said earlier.
The use of "base" and "head" is not intuitive and will lead to confusion
and errors amongst non-fluent English speakers. More basic words like
"top" and "bottom", or maybe "upper" and "lower", are preferable.

You can/should remove the word "opposite" from the definition; this will
make it completely independent of the other definitions.

On 2020-08-15 13:44, dktue wrote:

> To make in unambiguous, the definition would then be:
>
> aerialway:station=base
>
> for the station at an end of the aerialway with the lower altitude,
>
> aerialway:station=head
>
> for the station at the opposite end of the aerialway (hence with a higher altitude) and
>
> aerialway:station=mid
>
> for any station not being at the end of and aerialway regardless of the altitude.
>
> Anyone who wants to improve or oppose to this definition?
>
> Cheers
> dktue
>
> Am 15.08.2020 um 13:37 schrieb Werner.Haag at leitstelle.tirol:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> it was mentioned, we have many aerialways in Tyrol and there are really cases where the mid station is the one with the highest altitude.
>> I found an example ("Schindlergratbahn", base 2035 m, mid 2643 m , head 2579 m, see link ). So i think, the second scheme with  base, mid, head could
>> be the better scheme.
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/23103020 [1]
>>
>> Werner
>>
>> "Yves" <ycai at mailbox.org> schrieb am 14.08.2020 18:07:53:
>>
>>> Von: "Yves" <ycai at mailbox.org>
>>> An: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
>>> <tagging at openstreetmap.org>, "Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging"
>>> <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
>>> Kopie: "Tagging" <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
>>> Datum: 14.08.2020 18:09
>>> Betreff: Re: [Tagging] Antwort: Re: Aerialway stations
>>>
>>> I'm not a natural speaker, head like in where the aerialway is heading.
>>> I propose the second scheme because of the duplicate meaning with
>>> ele in the definition, and because the aim of an aerialway could be
>>> lower than mid.
>>> Yves
>>
>>> Le 14 août 2020 17:32:08 GMT+02:00, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
>>> <tagging at openstreetmap.org> a écrit :
>>> I strongly prefer up/top over head.
>>>
>>> At least for me (not representative,
>>> not a native speaker), head = up
>>> is not clear.
>>>
>>> 14 Aug 2020, 17:05 by email at daniel-korn.de:
>>> Am 14.08.2020 um 16:37 schrieb yvecai:
>>>
>>> I would propose, if you want to use altitude as a definition:
>>> bottom: the end station with the lower altitude
>>> up: the end station with the higher altitude
>>> mid: any station, not being a base or a head station, irrespective
>>> of the altitude
>>> Or, alternatively one that does not compete with the ele tag and
>>> carry a destination meaning (my preference):
>>> base: the 'valley' station, usually with the lower altitude
>>> head: the 'mountain' or 'top' station, usually with the higher altitude
>>> mid: any station, not being a base or a head station.
>>>
>>> aewrialway:station has my preference
>>> Yves
>>> I like both. Any other people here with a peference for one of Yves' schemes?

Links:
------
[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/23103020