[Tagging] bridge:name and tunnel:name

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 21:48:32 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 15. Aug 2020, at 17:33, Arne Johannessen <arne at thaw.de> wrote:
>
> Therefore, the tunnel's name is the primary name for that particular way, and thus belongs into the name=* tag.
>
> The full name tagging for a road tunnel should usually look like this:
>
> name=The Tunnel
> highway:name=The Road

I would see this as an awkward exception to the whole system if we followed your reasoning and said that in the case of highway=* + a specific property this property would change the semantics and the property would define the feature while the highway (or waterway) would become secondary.

To me it seems clear that a tunnel is often more than just the road leading through it, so that the logical consequence is that the tunnel=yes is interpreted as a thing being inside a tunnel (i.e. tunnel is implicit), just as it is the case with bridges (man_made=bridge is the bridge, bridge=yes means on a bridge).

Also note that highway:name is objectively an unused tag with only 188 occurrences for a total of 178 million highway objects, many of them being in china where mapping is underdeveloped due to the general ban of distributed citizen mapping.

Also compare this to 12815 occurrences of tunnel:name.

I see your interpretation as a change in paradigm and would invite you to formally propose it with the proposal process in order to check the support of the community, if you really believe this definition would be beneficial.

Cheers Martin