[Tagging] We should stop using hyphens to denote address ranges

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Aug 18 09:02:20 UTC 2020

Aug 18, 2020, 07:09 by andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com:

> > Data consumers see these hyphenated house numbers as one address, as well.
>
> Is that a problem? An address range can be considered a single address.
>
> > Create an address node for each housenumber and place each node somewhere on the building outline (or inside the building)
>
> I don't think that's a good idea, we should try to accurately map what's on the ground, when the street address is signposted as a range like "1-3" we should capture that as a single address "1-3" and not multiple addresses unless it's signed that way on the ground.

It depends on what is actually on the ground, we are mapping addresses with addr:housenumber.

Single object using 1-3 range? OK, 1-3 is correct and other versions would be incorrect.

Single 1-3 signpost with three entrances? Then mapping each as a separate node with
addr:housenumber=1, addr:housenumber=2, addr:housenumber=3 is preferable.

Single entrance? Depends on a case, if there is later a clear split then three nodes are better
than one range.

Signposts are not sole address source, asking people - especially people living there -
is also perfectly acceptable on the ground survey method.

> > If house numbers are associated with individual entrances, tag those numbers to entrance=* nodes.
>
> Doesn't work when the whole site and single main entrance have the address range.

And in such case range may be OK or even preferable.

> > Separate the numbers by commas (e.g., 11,13,15) or semicolon (e.g., 11;13;15).

why commas?

> Again I feel that's skewing what's actually represented on the ground, which is a single address which is a range and not multiple addresses.

We are using addr:* to map addresses, not signposts. And in this specific case you are
anyway unable to specify range.