[Tagging] We should stop using hyphens to denote address ranges

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 00:47:36 UTC 2020

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 04:26, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> There are two use cases here: one is "what is the address of this building
> (or whatever)" and the other is the reverse situation: "where can I find
> number XXX". As long as we have tagging that is potentially ambiguous we
> won't be able to cover both.
>
> In the US I know of cases where an apartment number can follow the street
> address, i.e. 10-321 meaning Street Address 10, apartment 321. In Europe I
> know of the suffix being used to indicate apartment number, or floor number
> - e.g. 379-3 meaning Street Address 379, Floor/Flat 3. Sometimes other
> characters are used for the floor/flat such as A/B/C or I/II/III - in these
> cases it is unambiguous because it is non-numeric.
>

> On the other hand using the "1-5" notation to indicate a range is pretty
> well understood in the UK at least. What it is missing is the
> "interpolation" value (even, odd, all).
>
> So let us sort this mess out by defining:
> 1) that a hyphen indicates a range
> 2) sub-addresses like a floor or apartment number must not use the hyphen
> notation, but must be given in addr:unit

Agreed, in those cases when it's not a range but actually an apartment
number or unit number addr:unit is best.

> 3) an address using the range syntax should indicate the interpolation
> scheme by means of addr:interpolation=*

The problem with this is addr:interpolation is currently defined as "Every
nth house between the end nodes is represented by the interpolation way.",
when mapping an address which uses a range, there is no start and end
nodes, it's just a single address, you're not saying this range
interpolates multiple addresses here, you're saying there is a single
address and it's a range. In this case we don't need to record the
addr:interpolation since the interpolated addresses don't actually exist
(where exists means signposted).