[Tagging] Call for verification (Was: Re: [OSM-talk] VANDALISM !)

pangoSE pangose at riseup.net
Sat Aug 22 07:32:09 UTC 2020

Hi

80hnhtv4agou--- via talk <talk at openstreetmap.org> skrev: (22 augusti 2020 03:06:37 CEST)

>Also there is no wiki on unverified edits.

In OSM we don't yet have an established system for verification or accurate machine readable references for the data to my knowledge.

This means the whole database is basically just a mess of biased data that one of our millions of editors thought should be included. Most objects have very few revisions and we have no idea about the overall quality or correctness. It a playground with half-ass quality more than an authoritative and verified source of information (like e.g. Wikipedia). Building upon it can lead to strange things. E.g. https://www.nyteknik.se/popularteknik/mystisk-jatteskrapa-dok-upp-i-flygsimulator-6999771 (building:levels=212 was entered erroneously and committed to the database without any kind of QA follow-up. If someone knows the osmid I would like to know how long this error was present in OSM)

We should really fix this and start a verification effort after implementing a sane verification model.