[Tagging] bridge:name and tunnel:name

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 23:08:12 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 22. Aug 2020, at 23:22, Arne Johannessen <arne at thaw.de> wrote:
>
> That's not what I'm saying at all. In fact, I'm only applying *exactly* what's currently documented on the wiki's name=* page, which considers pragmatics instead of semantics.
>
> In other words, instead of focusing on the objective meaning of tags, it focuses on their meaning in context of real-world usage.
>
> In particular, as documented, name=* should contain the "common default name" of an element, whatever it may be. This means that for any particular element which e. g. has the two names Foo and Bar, but which is most commonly referred to by locals only as Bar, the Bar name should go into name=* and the Foo name into another appropriate name tag (alt_name=*, xyz:name=*, whatever fits).

I would see it like this: if someone refers colloquially to a road in a tunnel, they will use the name of the tunnel because what they actually do is refer to the tunnel, not specifically the road in the tunnel. This does not have implications for our tagging such as you have proposed. It is not deductible from the „common default name“ definition, IMHO.

Cheers Martin