[Tagging] bridge:name and tunnel:name

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 16:53:28 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 23. Aug 2020, at 15:45, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a vague recollection of bridge:name being introduced because some
> people were unhappy with using name for the name of the bridge.  They
> argued that name should be the name of the road and bridge:name should
> be used for the name of the bridge.

we introduced an object for mapping bridges only “recently” (man made=bridge) and so late that people already had come up with bridge:name in the meantime.

Fortunately OpenStreetMap Carto incentivizes mapping of bridges now (man made explicit bridges), so it will probably become the preferred mapping style sooner or later, even if this is maybe not yet the case

Cheers Martin