[Tagging] Benches and hostile architecture

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 21:37:03 UTC 2020

I understand that it's the normal term for the general concept, but it
includes a large number of things:

"measures include sloped window sills to stop people sitting; benches with
armrests positioned to stop people lying on them, and water sprinklers that
"intermittently come on but aren't really watering anything."[4][5] Hostile
architecture is also employed to deter skateboarding, littering, loitering,
and public urination."

There is an example of a 1800s church with a sloped wall, designed to
deflect urine. That's quite different than spikes on a threshold, armrests
on a bench, or metal brackets on the edge of a curb (meant to deter
skateboarding).

It's a big category, so it would be best to use precise tags for each
thing.

For example, if you want to tag a kerb which has guard to prevent easy
skateboarding, then add something like "anti-skate_devices=yes" or
"skate_prevention=yes", don't use "hostile_architecture=yes" because that
is non-specific: it's not clear if what is prevented is sitting, lying
down, or skating.

-- Joseph Eisenberg

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 2:20 PM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> The British really call bench construction "architecture"? Amazing. I can
see this going the same way as village green.