[Tagging] Benches and hostile architecture

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 23:36:40 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 23. Aug 2020, at 23:39, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hostile architecture is also employed to deter skateboarding, littering, loitering, and public urination."
>
> There is an example of a 1800s church with a sloped wall, designed to deflect urine

great you mention it, also quite common in Rome are inside corners of buildings filled with masonry (typically up to 1,5m) so people do not urinate (not a recent feature, most look as if they were hundreds of years old). And in this case, it’s also probably more beneficial than hostile in the general perception. At least I guess many of us would deny a right of public urination in the city?

Cheers Martin