[Tagging] We should stop using hyphens to denote address ranges

pangoSE pangose at riseup.net
Tue Aug 25 00:05:13 UTC 2020

Hi

Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> skrev: (25 augusti 2020 00:39:55 CEST)
>On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 at 06:27, pangoSE <pangose at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> The POI IMO cannot logically have an adress itself, its a human
>symbol for
>> designating something of interest within a feature like a building,
>park or
>> whatever. Adresses are specialized designations used by the state and
>> postal service. You cannot apply for an address for a newsstand, a
>> phonebooth or a park (In Sweden)
>>

>By that logic (at least in Australia) the building cannot have an
>address,
>after all here land parcels hold the address not the building, but we
>still
>commonly tag the building or POI with an address since they "hold" the
>address.

Yeah, its probably the same here because you can have a land plot without a house but with a postbox and address anyway.  It is a compromise to put it on the buildings where they exist because land plots is out of scope.

What I mean is that its a bad idea to keep the exact same data in multiple places and thinking about it postal addresses follows land plots and legal boundaries and not POIs.