[Tagging] We should stop using hyphens to denote address ranges

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:25:19 UTC 2020

On 24/08/2020 16.25, pangoSE wrote:
> Martin Koppenhoefer skrev: (24 augusti 2020 02:16:27 CEST)
>> Also useful when the POI is approximately placed (e.g. in a
>> neighbouring building, happens quite often, at least as long as most
>> POIs are not yet mapped)
>
> Really? Can you link to an example?  I have never come across a POI
> that needed a special address. I would rather map to he entry in the
> that case and put the address there.

Just about any strip mall. For example, 42.8625, -73.7831. I can give at
least three other examples within 1000 *feet*; in a few miles, probably
a dozen or more.

Mapping stores in such cases practically requires mapping the *insides*
of the buildings. It's much more typical to drop a POI in about the
right place (either the middle of the store, or the entrance to the
store). Yet, these *do* have distinct addresses.

The same can easily happen with multi-unit dwellings.

Also, mailboxes have addresses, but are unlikely to be mapped as ways
due to their size.

> The POI IMO cannot logically have an address itself, its a human
> symbol for designating something of interest within a feature like a
> building, park or whatever.

...or its a somewhat abstracted representation of a building because no
one has yet made the effort to map the building more precisely. BTW,
it's not that unusual for detached houses to be mapped as POIs,
especially when addresses are imported from GIS data that gives them
only as points. Yes, in an ideal world everything of this nature would
be mapped as a way, but that isn't always practical.

> When the Swedish geosurvey sometime soon release all public adresses
> for free we will have to merge them all with the buildings where
> possible.
...And what will you do if there is no building, and it isn't obvious
how to add one (e.g. strip malls)? Not import that address at all?

> thinking about it postal addresses follows land plots and legal boundaries and not POIs.

Actually, AFAIK this is only partly true. Yes, the address "123 Cherry
Lane" follows a plot, but I'm not aware of anything preventing me from
erecting three structures on that plot and designating them "unit 1",
"unit 3.14" and "unit gamma". This would be unusual on a residential
plot, but not at all (well, sans my intentionally bizarre numbering) for
a commercial building.

--
Matthew