[Tagging] tagging for fairgrounds

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 16:35:47 UTC 2020

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 17:19, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27/08/2020 17:04, Richard Welty wrote:
>
> "fairgrounds" is more of an American rather than a British English way
> of referring to these sorts of things, I think.

As is fair.  Without further qualification, I'd interpret "fair" as a
(temporary, mobile) funfair: an annual event with fairground rides,
stalls, etc. I think American usage may tend more towards trade fairs.

As for mapping the temporary funfair thing, that's difficult, at least
around
here.  Every November the town's biggest car park is closed to parking
for a week and is used for several fairground rides and a couple of food
stalls.
As part of the same event, for a couple of days most of the town centre is
closed to traffic and the streets are filled with market stalls selling all
sort
of things of varying quality, from real bargains to absolute garbage (like
eBay made physical).  Hard to map.

There is also an annual agricultural-based show held in some large fields.

--
Paul