[Tagging] Rail segment in a bike route

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:08:22 UTC 2020

Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:

> The double role issue, if it occurs, is there in either case, separate
> relation or role in the bicycle route relation.

If a way or a chain of ways in a route relation has no
forward/backward role,  you can assign it a transfer/transport role.Easy
for e.g. ferries operating in both directions.

If the bicycle has split directions and transfer/transport is also
different for the travel directions, I think a route_master relation is
needed for the transfer. The superroute will have as members: the bicycle
relation up to the transport; the routemaster relation with the
transfer role, and the section of the bicycle route at the other side of
the transfer.

I think for most bicycle routes this kind of transfer will have a shared
way or shared point near the transport. So I think this will not happen
very often.But if it does, tagging can be done as described above without
ever having to combine roles. Processing is another matter, though.

> Regarding travel details of ferry/rail/bus sections within bicycle routes:
> This information, if available, should go on the the ferry/rail/bus route
> relations, as these means of transport are not exclusive to the bike route,
> at least in most cases, and therefore should have their own relations
> independently of bicycle travel.
>
> In more general terms, this intermodal transport problem is a big black
> hole in OSM in general. The commercial competition is spending a lot of
> money in that sector. I am not sure we can or even want to compete with
> that.

 The development is instant point-to-point routing over different
networks and transport modes. Route relations pre-combine elements to
form a fixed route for a particular  purpose, e.g. a theme or named trail
to be followed exactly. I don't think roles in fixed route relations will
solve the instant routing challenge!