[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Military=Coast-Guard & Rescue=Marine_Rescue

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 22:00:11 UTC 2020

Thanks everybody for positive comments!

On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 at 20:40, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> But maybe  (or amenity=marine_recsue) would be better
> than a brand new key rescue in rescue=marine_rescue tag?

I've been wondering about that overnight?

I was working on emergency=rescue_stations + rescue=marine_rescue, but
maybe just keeping the various types of station together under the Rescue
Stations heading, but tagged as emergency=marine_rescue would be neater?

On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 at 23:43, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The one thing I would avoid is tagging it as an amenity.

Definitely!

Which is why I also suggested changing amenity=fire_station to emergency=

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 at 01:38, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> it makes it look a either military or rescue decision, but many coast
> guards will be seen as part of the police or border patrol, rather than
> military.

Yes, & the same as everything, there will always be edge cases, which is
why I defined "Armed" Coast Guard as also defending against eg smugglers &
terrorists, not necessarily fighting a war.

E.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Federal_Coast_Guard

 Working on the concept that the crews are armed, even if it is only with
pistols, then I would list them under military=coast_guard.

Naturally, this will be open to input from people in each country who can
say yes / no.

Thanks

Graeme