[Tagging] Proposed feature - RFC - Military Bases

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 11:52:32 UTC 2020

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 at 07:28, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So I suggest military_branch=* or military_service=* for the key.
>
> Though this is based on my US English understanding of the military
> terminology. Do they call them "military service branches" in British
> English too?

"British Armed Forces."  More formally, "Her Majesty's Armed Forces."  See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Armed_Forces  Not a suitable term for
use
outside of the UK.  "Armed Forces" would be applicable outside the UK but
I'm not sure how well it would be understood by, say, the US.  The Wikipedia
article says that British Armed Forces are the military services in the UK,
so military_service might be the best option.  OTOH, the sidebar of
that article refers to the Navy, Army and Air Force as service branches,
so military_branch or military_service_branch would probably work.

--
Paul