[Tagging] Proposed feature - RFC - Military Bases

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 19:00:33 UTC 2020

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 at 17:08, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Wikipedia says: "The British Armed Forces, also known as Her Majesty's
> Armed Forces, are the military services responsible for the defence of the
> United Kingdom"... so perhaps the best British term is "military service"?

We cannot be certain of the dialect of English spoken by that page's
author.  When it
states the official names are "The British Armed Forces" and "Her Majesty's
Armed
Forces" that is probably correct.  Referring to them as "military services"
may be
influenced by the USAian dialect.

> The Wikipedia pages on the Royal Navy, Royal Air Force and British Army
> use "military service"

sometimes too, and mention the overall "British Armed Services", "Her
> Majesty's Naval Service", etc.

The same goes for the dialect spoken by that page's author.

However, whilst only the military services in the UK are armed forces,
police in
the US are generally armed.  So there would be confusion if we used UK
terminology here.

> Disclaimer: I don't speak the British dialect of English (aka "Her
> Majesty's English?" :-) )

Lizzie Windsor speaks with a Birmingham accent.  An old Birmingham accent
that differs
greatly from the current one, but a Birmingham accent.  It's a relic of the
time when
Birmingham and the surrounding area was responsible for much of the
country's
wealth.

--
Paul