[Tagging] How to put a name tag on an area with more than one type?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Fri Dec 11 17:07:12 UTC 2020

> Anders Torger <anders at torger.se> hat am 11.12.2020 17:07 geschrieben:
>
> The least bad way I've come up with is to just name all polygons
> belonging to the same wetlands the same,

That is widely considered to be the correct way.  It is established practice that mapping things like forest, wetland, farmland etc. can be split to differentiate tagging (like leaf_type, wetland type, crop etc.).  The name tag is then applied to all components.  Same as for waterways or roads where you can also split and apply the name to the components.

This also matches the general concept in OSM that names are typically local properties and only locally verifiable.  The Rhine river is called Rhein in Koblenz but Rhin in Strasbourg and Rijn in Rotterdam.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/