[Tagging] Proposed feature - RFC - Military Bases

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 05:55:29 UTC 2020

But a Russian naval base would presumably be tagged "operator=Военно-морской
флот" - if you do not read the Cyrrillic alphabet this is illegible. In
Japan it would be "operator=海上自衛隊"

All names are opaque to computers, so we use standardized tags which can be
translated one time, instead of needing to translate an operator=* tag for
every language and every country to make it usable.

While some militaries have unusual divisions, the presence of an army, air
force and navy is quite common for large countries, and it's fine if the
list of values is a little longer to fit in the silly ones like
"military_service=space_force".

-- Joseph Eisenberg