[Tagging] How to put a name tag on an area with more than one type?

Ture Pålsson ture at turepalsson.se
Sun Dec 13 12:43:25 UTC 2020

> 13 dec. 2020 kl. 11:40 skrev stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com>:
>
> Thank you, Ture:  an excellent example and a great brief overview.  From my perspective (if I were more of an OSM beginner), I might ask about the example of "torp:"  might creating a tag like building=torp seem like it's on a good track?  Maybe not, as the value is a Swedish word, but there is an historical cognate in British English (more OSM-like for tagging purposes) of "thorpe" (maybe with an e at the end, maybe not) which came from, but doesn't really mean the same thing all by itself in English,

In many cases, the buildings are long gone and just the name remains. I *thought* that those places were still labelled in upright letters in the ”official” maps, but it turns out that I was wrong — in the present-day online-only version of those maps, those names that have lost their buildings have turned italic. Which is good for us, because it means we could still map building=torp where there actually is a building, and something else (historic=torp? historic=farm, farm=torp?) where there isn’t. :)