[Tagging] The saga of landuse=reservoir vs water=reservoir

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 14:31:57 UTC 2020

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 at 14:13, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is it time to more directly recommend that mappers favor natural=water +
> water=reservoir *instead of* rather than *in addition to* landuse=reservoir?
>
> The reality is that no matter what it says in the wiki and no matter what
conclusions we reach on this list, tagging practise is largely determined
by editor presets.  If the user searches for reservoir then how it is
tagged depends on the editor (a very small fraction of users tag
manually, but most do not).

I just tried iD and it gives me natural=water + water=reservoir.  If
the other major editors do the same then the thre choices are:

1) Persuade all the major editors to revert (difficult)

2) Amend the wiki pages to reflect the new reality.

3) Ignore the issue.

--
Paul