[Tagging] The saga of landuse=reservoir vs water=reservoir

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Dec 13 17:16:20 UTC 2020

Dec 13, 2020, 16:35 by tomasstraupis at gmail.com:

> 2020-12-13, sk, 16:13 Brian M. Sperlongano rašė:
>
>> 2019 was a turning point, and over the last two years, landuse=reservoir has
>> been on a steady decline, while water=reservoir continued its rapid growth.
>>

> New/duplicate schema with water=reservoir only launched because iD
> coders decided to skip standard IT processes of product development
> (or were not familiar with the basics of IT) and simply went for what
> they personally liked, not what was better

This is 100% untrue, and you insult people. Stop making such things.

For start, iD authors (also ones that made decisions about tagging
presets that I consider to be mistakes and going against consensus)
had no problem with basics of IT and IT processes of product development.

water=reservoir was launched (created) in 2011
see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Water_details
iD started in 2012 ( https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ID )

> , and introduced
> water=reservoir as the only way to tag, all this at the time when
> water=reservoir usage was close to zero!

See https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/water=reservoir#chronology

Usage in January 2019 was about 200 000 already.

"water=reservoir usage was close to zero" is untrue

>  And the only reason for change of stat starting 2019 is because
> coders of iD decided to lie to the users that landuse=reservoir is
> deprecated

It is deprecated by 2011 proposal, see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Water_details#Deprecation

>  So the change of statistics is not the preference of mappers but
> preference of some nerds.

Well, tagging mailing list and community that is engaged in voting
on tagging proposals is not very representative.

But if you care about deprecation decisions you must rely on
people that are engaged in such discussions.

> I would propose to deprecate water=reservoir

Feel free to make a proposal that would
revert
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Water_details <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Water_details#Deprecation>
proposal.

BTW, you are AGAIN spreading false statements and claim that iD
invented water=reservoir. Please stop doing this.