[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - crossing=priority

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Dec 13 20:37:12 UTC 2020

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 11:26 AM ipswichmapper--- via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/crossing%3Dpriority
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/crossing%3Dpriority#Tagging>
>
> Here is my first proposal for a tag to describe pedestrian crossings where
> the pedestrian has right of way over all vehicles on the road from the
> moment they have indicated their intent to cross. I created this because
> "crossing=zebra" or "crossing=marked" aren't clear enough. Please read the
> proposal for more details.

In a number of places that I've lived or visited, marked crossings (zebra
or others) indicate the pedestrian has the right-of-way.  For example,
where I live now, Washington State, it's the law that pedestrians have
righ-of-way in a marked crosswalk. In all those many places adding the tag
crossing=priority would be redundant. It would also effectively do away
with crossing=marked which has over 1M uses[1]. Many of us were very happy
when crossing=marked was added because zebra didn't exactly fit. What
crossing=marked does is give the ability to easily verify what's
literally on the ground, even visible from good aerial imagery.

If you believe that we need a priority tag, then I suggest creating one
that doesn't effectively depreciate crossing=marked. I'd also suggest
explaining how a mappers is expected to know if the pedestrian has
priority.

[1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/crossing#values

--
@osm_washington