[Tagging] How to put a name tag on an area with more than one type?

Anders Torger anders at torger.se
Tue Dec 15 07:48:11 UTC 2020

Impressive work!

I had missed myself that the river flows through. To tie it together I
would have made a multipolygon with two outers one on each side of the
river, and I think I've already done that in some other wetland with the
same issue. However that is not a fool-proof solution, as in some case
you could have only bog on one side of the river and only marsh on the
other, making it impossible to tie it together with a multipolygon.

The simple answer is that this naming concept is fundamentally broken,
and that we need to have some other concept, such as fuzzy areas.

However I'll soon go through these edits again and then I will add
multipolygon for the split, and if your renderer takes that into account
we should end up with a single multipolygon. I think in the case of
Muddus it will work in all cases, ie we won't hit the corner case
described above which should be very rare. So I think this naming
concept is okay as a stepping stone until we can move forward on this
issue. I hope we can make a point though that this is not a acceptable
as a long-term solution.

Your example also demonstrates the importance of having a reference
renderer that actually renders correctly. I would not have discovered
that I've forgot to tie the wetland together if it weren't for that your
renderer actually implements the algorithm. A proper reference render
gives better geodata, as it allows mappers to with their own eyes see
what's correctly represented or not.

/Anders