[Tagging] How to tag entire group of rentable holiday cottages?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 13:51:29 UTC 2020

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 08:53, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Dec 15, 2020, 03:33 by graemefitz1 at gmail.com:
>
> How about tagging the whole area as tourism=chalet + name=Foo Cottages +
> capacity=25
> then tagging each individual cottage / cabin as either
> building=cabin / bungalow + name=xxx?
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dcabin
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dbungalow
>

> I am fine with that and I plan to restore this tagging recommendation
> unless someone will proposed a better one.

I see four problems with it.

1) Holiday cottages are rarely building=cabin, they are mostly
building=house.  One around the corner from me is a former house
that has been converted to a holiday let.  Even the ones on farms
are converted stone barns, converted stone stables, etc.

2) A farm which has converted some of its buildings to
holiday cottages will have a mix of building types.  Mappers
who wish to go into details would prefer to see the
individual holiday cottages rendered distinctly (as
they currently are).

3) This scheme has problems with individual holiiday
cottages, such as the one around the corner from me,
unless you retain tourism=chalet for such cases.  But
then we end up with two ways of tagging individual
cottages in a group with different renderings.

4) There are a lot of tourism=chalet.  Are you proposing
we bulk edit them?

--
Paul