[Tagging] How to put a name tag on an area with more than one type?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 22:38:07 UTC 2020

Am Di., 15. Dez. 2020 um 10:42 Uhr schrieb Anders Torger <anders at torger.se>:

> We should probably not have all these possible generalized areas in our
> db. Just as we probably shouldn't have a bedrock map in the db either, at
> least not until it can manage layers.
>
> But we could simply pick one criteria, document the definition of the
> "fuzzy area" and have that. Some criteria that is useful as a basis for
> making general-purpose maps. I don't think it's a problem to have fuzzy
> areas in the database as long as they can be identified as such and there
> is a clear definition of what they mean and what the concept of fuzziness
> is. Renderers shouldn't generally not render the border of these areas, and
> if they do for some particular illustration (to show where Black Forest is
> for example) they should make them really blurry and fuzzy.

Take a look back what I mentioned 3 days ago in my first answer: "...If we
want to map all those “meta areas” with names we would do well to think
about additional ways of delimiting space (i.e. different kind of geometry
objects), e.g. a fuzzy border could be represented by providing different
points for which it seems undisputed that they are in or out of the area in
question. This would be very lightweight for all mappers, because it avoids
clear lines which are confusing when they do not correspond with something
observable."

If you want to map something with a "fuzzy border", you should not map a
non-fuzzy border and declare it "fuzzy" by adding tags. The data type
should implicitly represent the fuzzyness. fuzzy is not the same as fuzzy.
If you were to draw fuzzy borders with lines, I would expect at least 2
lines: one the is in and one that is out of the fuzzy object, the border
would be the space in between, it's width (fuzzyness) could variate
depending on the location. But the concept of using just nodes still seems
more elegant and less invasive compared to this.

Cheers,
Martin