[Tagging] destination:ref with direction?

Skyler Hawthorne osm at dead10ck.com
Wed Dec 16 03:40:55 UTC 2020

I've seen a few examples in both New York and California put in the tags of on-ramps the destination:ref that has the direction in it, e.g.: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/5566969

However, after looking through the wiki, to my surprise, I cannot find this practice mentioned anywhere. It made sense to me when I saw it because how else is GPS navigation supposed to tell you which highway to get onto? But I don't see it mentioned anywhere, and in fact, the only thing the wiki page on Highway Directions in the United States mentions is putting the direction on the ways of the actual freeway.

Is this practice incorrect?

--
Skyler