[Tagging] Rapids (whitewater) on rivers

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 20:55:52 UTC 2020

In the year 2020 waterway=rapids has been added a couple hundred times, and
the other two tags whitewater:section_grade and whitewater:rapid_grade have
been used about 100 times each:
https://taghistory.raifer.tech/#***/whitewater:rapid_grade/&***/whitewater:section_grade/&***/waterway/rapids
(zoom in to the most recent yet)

I think both tagging methods have their use. The tag waterway=rapids is
great to add to a node to specify that there are rapids here, and the
others are good for expert kayakers and rafters who are able to assess the
rapid grade.

I don't know enough about the subject to make a proposal to clear things
up, but the existing tags seem to be fine.

-- Joseph Eisenberg