[Tagging] Rapids (whitewater) on rivers --> Hazards

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 01:20:36 UTC 2020

Volker,

Thanks for the comments!  For the specific linked case (winding road for
74(!) miles), it seems that is already covered in the proposal -
hazard=curves and its sub-tags cover this, and if it truly is 74
consecutive miles, that I would think it's just fine to tag 74 miles worth
of ways in this way.

With regard to perceived hazards, and degrees of hazards, these are clearly
interesting and complex topics.  I don't know how to address them, but I
like that you're breaking down the problem in a systematic way.  I'm
intrigued and interested in hearing more and/or collaborating on the
topic.  I think we would need to examine a handful of examples to really
understand the space.

That said, I don't think the lack of a generalized approach towards
signed/unsigned/graded hazards should prevent us from formalizing the
30,000 usages of the hazard key.  Mappers have "voted with their tagging"
and we should respect that unless there is a strong reason not to.