[Tagging] How to put a name tag on an area with more than one type?

Ture Pålsson ture at turepalsson.se
Fri Dec 18 14:27:44 UTC 2020

> 14 dec. 2020 kl. 19:06 skrev Ture Pålsson <ture at turepalsson.se>:
>
> I have implemented the merge-adjacent-areas scheme in my renderer. I’ll try to get a demo up… :-)
>
> Having said that, as a renderer implementer, I have a slight preference for the relation method. It is s implyeasier to join things on numeric id than to join them by adjacency.

I don’t remember whether this has already been mentioned, but it just occurred to me:

One problem with merging adjacent areas for labelling purposes, is when the areas share no tags, except the name. For example, it is not unusual to have a natural=wetland sharing some boundary with a natural=water, where the name applies to the entire wet area. So you can’t just merge adjacent natuarl=wetland, you also have to remember to merge natural=water with adjacent natural=wetland, if their names match. And natural=riverbank. And landuse=reservoir ( :-) ). And the gods of cartography knows what else.

I am now leaning a bit heavier towards the ”relation” alternative…