[Tagging] sport=shooting_range vs sport=shooting + leisure=pitch

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 21:42:08 UTC 2020

On 20/12/20 6:32 pm, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:

> Dec 20, 2020, 00:01 by 61sundowner at gmail.com:
>
>     On 20/12/20 6:45 am, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
>
>         Is there some good use for sport=shooting_range?
>
>         Or is it always preferable to use sport=shooting + leisure=pitch?
>
>         This is a request to review this edit
>         https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Asport%3Dshooting_range&type=revision&diff=2074293&oldid=125712
>         that ended creating
>         https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:sport%3Dshooting_range
>

>     The sport key should be used to indicate the activity .. not the
>     physical existence. Despite what the OSMwiki says though various
>     edits.
>
> Where OSM Wiki claims that sport key alone indicates physical
> existence of something?
> As far as I know it only describes that it specifies type/purpose of
> something like
> leisure=pitch.

Look at the descriptions on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:sport

Some examples;

sport    bowls        A place where you can play lawn bowls/lawn bowling.

sport    kitesurfing        To mark a spot for kitesurfing

sport    multi        A sports facility that is suitable for more than
one sport

sport    racquet        Racquetball facilities, such as racquetball courts

sport    scuba_diving        To mark a spot for scuba diving

sport    surfing        A spot for surfing.

These do not describe the 'sport'/activity but state it is a
'place'/'spot' i.e. a physical thing.