[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - addr:interpolation on closed ways and nodes

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 20:40:11 UTC 2020

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 20:03, ipswichmapper--- via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Turns out nominatim just doesn't do ranges at all. I.e. if you label a
> building 40-48 xyz street and then search 42 xyz street it won't show up.
> OSMand, however, does assume that they are ranges.
>
> I see two solutions:
>
> 1. Have no default value and geocoders will do whatever they already do
> with hypenated addresses.
> 2. Default value is addr:range=no and it has to be specified if you want a
> geocoder to assume its a range.

Third solution.  We realize that there is no character we can designate
to act as a range indicator because those characters appear in
addresses that are not ranges.  We come up with something similar
in syntax to addr:flats to deal with ranges.  This may require a
lot of retagging over time, but the current options are broken in
one or more ways.

--
Paul