[Tagging] Feature proposal - Voting - guard stone

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 00:32:53 UTC 2020

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020, 01:02 Paul Allen, <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 23:34, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (perhaps the duck principle could be applied: it looks like a guardstone,
>> it keeps the wheels on the road like a guard stone, hence it can tagged as
>> a guard stone)
>>

> Guardstones don't keep the wheels on the road, they keep the wheels off the
> building.  Your duck is a drake

I am not saying they are the same, I was pointing out, that, by stretching
the duck principle a bit you could use the same tag. But I would prefer us
finding a better tag.

> The pair of "guard" stones one on each side of the minor road could be a
>> kind of ancient width limiter for passing vehicles. I have seen many of
>> these on the artificial earthen embankments (Italian: argine) that are
>> common along waterways in the flat lands of Northern Italy. So we could tag
>> them as barrier=bollard; maxwidth=x
>>

> Seems plausible.
>
> The rows of "guard stones" along roads are certainly a predecessor of
>> guard rails, i.e. they prevented vehicle from veering off the road.
>>

> Maybe, but they're on the wrong side of the road.  They prevent the vehicle
> veering into trees, which would be just as effective as stopping it going
> further and do as much (or as little) damage.  A guardrail would be
> on the other side of the road, to prevent a vehicle going over the cliff.

You must be looking at different picture. The one I linked, shows
definitely false guard stones on the valley side. I drove that road in
1963, when it was in better shape, I guarantee you the protection was on
the correct side, and the terrain  is steep.

>> I just googled this interesting German document
>> <http://strassengeschichte.de/Menueoptionen/Geschichte/HistorieGesch/Randsteine/randsteine.htm>
>> So the German term is "Leitstein", at lest it was in the former DDR The
>> modern
>>
> equivalent are the "Leitpfosten
>> <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leitpfosten>", French "délinéateur", but
>> there is no English
>>
> equivalent
>>

> The English equivalent of the modern Lietpfosten appears to be
> called "verge marker" or "marker post" (the bulkier ones are
> called bollards)
> https://uk.glasdon.com/road-safety/reflective-verge-markers
>
> I don't know the English term for Leitstein or even if we ever had such
> things.

I learned the term. "Leitstein" today from the report that I googled.

Volker