[Tagging] Definition of lake/pond as applied to stream/plunge pools

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 15:46:06 UTC 2020

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 at 13:50, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
wrote:

Stream and plunge pools are a part of rivers (per WP definition), and I
> don't intend to address river tagging as part of the reservoir/lake/pond
> proposal[1].  Therefore, what makes the most sense is to simply scrub
> mention of pools and rivers from the proposal and leave it squarely focused
> on reservoirs, lakes, and ponds.

I wouldn't scrub all mention but replace what you have with "Mapping of
stream pools and plunge pools is currently unresolved."  And maybe add
that "There is existing usage mapping stream pools and plunge pools as
ponds."

[The following is not pertinent to this proposal, just a side-issue
triggered by pools.  I'm mentioning it now in case I'm not around
to mention it when we've dealt with ponds, lakes and reservoirs.]

I suggest that, when we get around to looking at pools, we consider
the possibility of adding other angling considerations: runs, rapids
(but not necessarily rapid enough for kayakers to notice), riffles
and eddies.  See https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/the-anatomy-of-a-river/
(many months ago I found a better treatment of these things but
have subsequently lost it).

I have no interest in angling, but angling associations produce maps
of their beats.  Rather crude maps.  Ones that name water features
such as pools and riffles but also have some local geography such as notable
POIs and footpaths.  Some have pages listing local guesthouses,
holiday cottages, pubs, etc.  Angling associations could provide local
knowledge for mapping, if only they had an incentive.  I'm not
suggesting such things (except maybe named pools) be
rendered by standard carto.  But uMap with some
Overpass imports could do a nice job for them.  The possibility
might be enough for some of them to allow us to use their maps
and maybe even get one or two members mapping.

   - Section C https://teififishing.com/map-of-water/sectionc/
   - Section C, Beat 9 https://teififishing.com/map-of-water/sectionc/beat9/

--
Paul