[Tagging] Fuzzy areas again: should we have them or not?

Phake Nick c933103 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 10:04:08 UTC 2020

In Hong Kong, most regions in the city are undefined, hence they are
mostly only mapped as a node on the map.
But this have created a number of inconvenience in usage, like if you
want your user to select a bus stop how do you categorize and present
them when you just have a list of location name as node and their
distance from the bus stop you want? Hence there have been some
(off-OSM) project trying to create boundaries for different regions in
the city. But from what I can tell that project haven't reached
useable state yet.
Back to the project, for tags like natural=plateau, while that would
also work as a node tag, I think one can switch to a topographic base
map and map the plateau area according to some contour line being
displayed.