[Tagging] Quarry lakes

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Dec 24 21:20:49 UTC 2020

A few years back I went kayaking in a series of water bodies created out of
old iron ore mine pits [1,2] in northern Minnesota. These open pit mines
were abandoned over 30 years ago. These were some of the clearest lakes
I've ever seen. For those not familiar with Minnesota, it's state motto is
"Land of 10,000 Lakes" which seems ironic when they felt the need to create
a few more.

I'd be in favor of creating a tag that describes that they were formed by
mining. I'd like to see tags that add to the existing natural=water and
water=lake/pond tags. That way we can incrementally improve the information
without having to change any existing water body.

[1] openstreetmap.org/#map=15/46.4896/-94.0006
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyuna_Country_State_Recreation_Area

Best,
Clifford

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 11:56 AM António Madeira <antoniomadeira at gmx.com>
wrote:

> If it's not a lake, in the sense that it's not natural, why use
> water=lake at all?
> And if it's a small area, say with a radius of 30 meters, would that be
> a lake=quarry or a pond=quarry?
> I would say that 90% of the times you can easily spot a body of water in
> an old quarry from its surroundings. In the few cases that you can not
> spot that from aerial images (mostly because they have decades or even
> centuries old), you'll not be able to say if it's a lake or a pond or
> the spot was already adopted by the locals as a lake or a pond, with a
> proper name. So I would definitely go with a new tag.
>
> Às 15:24 de 24/12/2020, Shawn K. Quinn escreveu:
> > On 12/24/20 11:22, Brian M. Sperlongano wrote:
> >> A commenter on the reservoir proposal[1] pointed out the existence of
> >> quarry lakes[2], which is a lake that is formed after a quarry has been
> >> dug after a mining operation.  It was suggested that such bodies of
> >> water should be tagged separately from other lakes with a tag such as
> >> water=quarry.
> > [...]
> >
> >> Should quarry lakes be tagged as a subset of lake, something like
> >> water=lake + lake=quarry?
> > Yes, this is how I personally would prefer to tag these.
> > water=quarry_lake smells too much like the disaster that is
> > amenity=ice_cream.

@osm_washington
www.snowandsnow.us
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch