[Tagging] Quarry lakes

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 21:52:56 UTC 2020

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 at 21:38, Minh Nguyen <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us>
wrote:

> I have no opinion yet about the exact tag to use, but as a mapper and
> overpasser, I would appreciate a clear way to distinguish quarry lakes
> from other lakes. Most that I've mapped are within active quarries or
> quarries that were recently converted to nature preserves. The ones in
> active quarries change shape often, enough that I have to completely
> redraw them every time new aerial imagery comes out.

The ones that are in active quarries can be distinguished by the
fact that they are inside quarries.  A complicated query, perhaps,
but feasible as-is.

If recently-converted quarries are mapped as quarries with
disused=yes added, then the same thing applies.

Harder is when you don't know for sure if there was a quarry
there.  When you see a pond or lake in an area that was
glaciated in the last ice age and has been quarried more
recently, it may not be possible to know the origin if
there are no historical records as a guide.  Anyway,
when you spot a pond miles from anywhere you may not
even have a clue where to look for such records.

So I'd prefer a subtag which can be added if the
mapper is sure it's in a former quarry.

--
Paul