[Tagging] Deprecacations

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 23:48:57 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 27. Dec 2020, at 00:02, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That seems reasonable for barely-used and undocumented tags with a clear alternative.  Especially in the case of things like obvious mistakes or mispellings.  But in the spirit of free tagging, I would not be in favor of automatically deprecating tagging that someone has deliberately documented, merely because it has low usage.  At the least it should warrant a discussion and/or a reach-out to the original author.  If something truly has "become commonly used" then it warrants a more substantial consideration and should not be deprecated without discussion.

+1

> Local language translations of English tags is an interesting edge case that I hadn't considered.  I'd be in favor of a general policy for deprecating those and would probably even support a mechanical edit to translate them to English tags, if this is a real thing that's happening on any meaningful scale and not just a hypothetical.

unfortunately there are words that don’t have a good equivalent in English, or worse, where you loose something if the translation is not done with care and tagging in mind (i.e. use a description/composition  rather than a single word, although the dictionary might give you a single word). I am already seeing this with German and Italian, and I guess it will increase when you get farther away.

Cheers Martin