[Tagging] The showstoppers for mapping Scandinavian nature.

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Dec 28 04:45:24 UTC 2020

Florian, I happily underscore (+1) your mention of opentopomap, especially as it is "another renderer" which could possibly be a better solution to what is being asked (by Anders, about "natural naming" but true in a wider sense, too).  These are rendering issues Anders seems to have had, as each renderer (there are many) "names" as it does.  I realize saying it like that is vague, but eventually, lines of code convert a name=* value in OSM into name-text-rendering (at a given zoom level).

What might be a place to think about going forward is where those lines of code are — and why — (in any given renderer) together with where and how our data now "name nature."  The intersection of syntax (tagging) + semantics (render rules that display tagging) = somewhere around where we're wondering how to solve this.  (That equation is true a lot in OSM, perhaps those issues are more of what I'm interested in, I'm intentionally staying wide and open now).  Yes, concepts like verifiability remain in the equation, making even discussion about this more difficult than a lot of topics we might discuss.  Some of what appears to have happened is "natural areas are named with methods which fail OSM's verifiability filter, some users find the zero results from this frustrating."  Or so.

I believe the thinking caps are on firmly on at least a few heads about this, about now.  This list / these threads have given a boost to that, certainly.

It's a heck of a discussion (deep topics, interesting...), it's neat to see, it's an honor to participate.

SteveA