[Tagging] The showstoppers for mapping Scandinavian nature.

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 14:40:02 UTC 2020

There is no need to draw the "border" of a mountain range -- just a
relation containing all the summits will do just fine.  There are
organizations (e.g.. International Climbing and Mountaineering Federation)
that have produced definitions and/or lists of what constitutes a summit.
With this collection of points, one might imagine that there are algorithms
for appropriate labeling location and size labeling.

We might also imagine that we could construct mountain systems (e.g. the
Appalachian Mountains, which encompass multiple, subordinate ranges) as a
relation containing each of the ranges within.

Even for a larger mountain range which might have several thousand peaks,
this is only a modest-sized object - consider that the boundary polygon of
Sydney, Australia contains 11,800 nodes.