[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - wait

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 28 22:22:18 UTC 2020

I would definitely support recording physical things like signs and road
markings; interpretation of what this might mean should be left to the
data consumer (router). It is therefore important that our tagging model
conveys enough nuances to the router to cover the cases we want to
cover. For example, are we just tagging for cars? Or do we want to show
where things are different for cyclists, trucks, buses etc?

In the case of traffic lights and give way indications on the same
junction, they should ideally both be represented - it's up to the
router to make inferences based on that information, and any other input
it considers, when estimating delays and choosing a route.

Other cases for variable delays: 4-way stops (US) or non-priority
crossings (Europe), "right turn on red" at traffic lights,
junctions/roundabouts where the roads have unequal/variable traffic
density (to leave my residential road at around 0800 on a Monday, it can
take 10 minutes at the head of the queue to get onto the main road...)