[Tagging] Power Storage Proposal (RFC)

Lukas Richert lrichert at posteo.de
Wed Dec 30 10:03:08 UTC 2020

I would be strongly in favor of power=energy_storage for individual
modules instead of tagging them as power=generator as proposed.  I think
it is useful to separate generation from storage. While both transform
energy from one from into another, generators convert from primary
energy sources such as fossil fuels or solar, while storage devices
convert from intermediate media, such as electrochemical cells.  This
would then also be compatible with the electricity proposal which
separates electricity as coming from three main sources: grids (large
plants, etc), stand-alone generators, and stand-alone energy storage.
I'd also like to note that OSM does not, in fact, use the IEC definition
of a generator.

- Lukas