[Tagging] Marking waterway=brook as deprecated and problematic

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 16:45:17 UTC 2020

Referring to this half-sentence in the Brook discussion page:
" This tag breaks with the basic convention of waterway tagging that
distinction between natural and artificial waterways is a primary
criterion."

The reason why I am asking, that in my part of the world (Western Europe),
the only not at-least partially artificial waterways are mountain water
courses, and that only partially.
All others are more or less artificial. If you want a particularly big
example: the River Rhine between Basel and Mainz is practically completely
man-made <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinbegradigung>.
Most of the rivers around where I live in the lower Po valley have their
course at least defined by man_made embankments.
Examples: River <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2220829> Brenta
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2220829>, River Bacchiglione
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2220827>. (The Bacchilgione appears
split into two bits because the missing bits go by different names)
Both consist of stretches that are meandering of sorts, always protected by
high embankments and linear stretches that are clearly man-made, always
accompanied by embankments. The same goes for many other rivers.
Even in the mountains, many waterways have parts that are natural, and
parts that are man made (straight) (Example
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/49513008>)
What is the correct tagging?
Do I tag segments according to their shape as "river" or "canal" along the
same waterway?
Do embankments, closely following a river on both sides, qualify this
waterway as a canal?
Do I go by name?

So I have major doubts on this "basic" difference.
Even the criterion of free-flowing downhill does not help, as all water
flows downhill, unless pumped uphill, be that a river (very big pumps) or a
ditch.(small pumps)

Yours truly confused

Volker