[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - boundary=forest(_compartment) relations

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 20:39:49 UTC 2020

Can you provide some examples of where this new tag (boundary=forest) would
make sense?

It seems to represent a type of forestry management system which does not
exist in North America, central America or Indonesia where I have personal
experience.

"boundary=forest - this relation is used to describe a forest, understood
as a wide area considered as a distinct piece of land, largely but not
necessarily only composed of wooded areas."

Then it is mentioned that the boundary=forest might consist of many small
boundary=forest_compartment features (boundary=forest_compartment) -
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dforest_compartment -
which is more or less a parcel, similar to mapping a residential or
commercial plot or property?

This seems like mapping cadastral information (land ownership) which is
often not possible, though at least for boundary=forest_compartment it is
claimed that in some countries these are marked by posts at the corners or
cutlines between, so in that case those features could be mapped.

Perhaps it would make more sense to map the corner boundary markers as
marker=post rather than creating areas or relations for each parcel - the
marker posts are verifiable and can be used for orientation when walking
around.

-- Joseph Eisenberg