[Tagging] Peak-based mountain range proof of concept

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 23:58:57 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 5:19 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 at 14:19, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Uhm, yeah, they've all got names, but I think they're better represented
>> by linear features that follow the streams. (They all have streams!)
>>

> When you say "they've all got names", Kevin, are they known as Dry,
> Wittenberg & Maltby Hollow Valleys, or other names?
>
> As I mentioned earlier, near here we've got Tallebudgera & Currumbin
> Valleys, which have Tallebudgera & Currumbin Creeks running down them, but
> we also have Numinbah Valley, which has the Nerang River in it, as Numinbah
> was an Aboriginal word for this area (& there is no Nerang Valley, despite
> it being the major waterway in this area!)

Same here - sometimes the hollow is named the same as the stream, sometimes
different.   Among the ones I posted map snippets for, the stream in Frost
Valley is the West Branch of the Neversink River, and the stream in Burnham
Hollow is the Elk Bushkill.

Elsewhere, some of the oddballs that come to mind are that Mink Hollow is a
pass with the Roaring Kill. flowing north and the Beaver Kill flowing
south. Rider Hollow has Todd Brook. The gorge of the upper Plattekill Creek
is Devil's Kitchen. The Batavia Kill flows out of Deep Hollow. Watson
Hollow has Bear Kill in the east and Rondout Creek in the west, and a dry
stretch in a deep notch in the middle. The stream in Silver Hollow is
Warner Creek. Johnson Hollow has Vly Creek in it. The Schoharie Creek
headwaters are in Jimmy Dolan Notch, which is incidentally the only place
that I'd feel comfortable jumping over the Schoharie.

But they're exceptions. Names like 'Maltby Hollow Brook' are common - but
that's just "the brook running in the bottom of Maltby Hollow".   "Stony
Clove Creek" flows out of "Stony Clove". "Kaaterskill Clove" is the valley
of the Kaaterskill - shown on many official maps as 'Kaaterskill Creek',
which is redundant - 'kill' is an obsolete Dutch word meaning 'stream'.
Woodland Valley contains both the settlement of Woodland and the Woodland
Creek. The Plattekill flows through Platte Clove. The valley of Bear Hole
Brook is indeed Bear Hole (which also refers to one eddy of the brook, fine
for trout and bass fishing). The Willowemoc Valley contains both Willowemoc
Creek and the village of Willowemoc.

A name like 'Maltby Hollow Valley' would be seen as a redundancy. A hollow
is a (usually narrow and relatively sheltered) valley.

Wittenberg Brook is named for the mountain - which is just 'Wittenberg' or
'the Wittenberg' to the locals; adding the redundant 'Mountain' shows
you're Not From Around Here.

If you're talking about the Dry Brook that flows into it (there are a lot
of Dry Brooks about), I don't think its gorge has its own name, so I lied
when I said, "they've all got names."
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin